6 Thoughts: Maurice Jones-Drew’s HoldoutJuly 28, 2012
Well…NFL camps opened up this week and you know holdouts are going to happen. Maurice Jones-Drew was one of those holdouts. He’s actually getting fined 30k each day he’s not in camp. Here are my feelings on MJD’s holdout.
1. MJD isn’t helping the Jags win any games. Sure he’s all they’ve got but they Jags haven’t been to the playoffs since 2007, MJD’s second year. MJD wasn’t even the leading rusher on the team. He only rushed for 768 yards.
2. MJD has been running his ass off the past three years going over 1300 yards in 2009 and 2010 and going over 1600 yards last season. So he should be one of the top paid running backs.
3. No one asked him to sign a five year contract. For a running back to agree to anything for five years is crazy. He should have signed a three year deal.
4. Jones is 27 and probably has two years left to play at an elite level so it makes sense for him to get his money, but it makes even more sense for the Jags to NOT give him his money.
5. It sucks for Maurice Jones-Drew but the running back position just isn’t as important anymore.
6. Why would you pay MJD if no one is even coming to the games to watch him or the Jaguars play? The Jags ranked 25th in attendance last season.
That’s all I got,