6 Thoughts: The Freeh Report and Joe PaternoJuly 13, 2012
Penn State hired former FBI investigator Louis Freeh to investigate exactly what the hell was going on with their football program regarding Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno. Here are my thoughts on the findings.
1. In all fairness this is 267 pages of an eight month investigation by one man and not Grand Jury testimony so let’s not hang onto every word in this thing.
2. This makes Penn State University look very bad. Freeh was actually hired by the university to investigate this so for them to release this publicly is kind of admirable even if they owe it to the American public.
3. Although the NCAA is investigating, Penn State should not be sanctioned on the grounds of “Lack of Institutional Control” because none of these players should be punished for what a previous coaching staff and administration was doing. Once the grand jury investigation is done, the appropriate parties will be punished, and right now the most important person – Jerry Sandusky is already on his way to prison for the rest of his life.
4. Nike is removing Joe Paterno’s name from it’s children’s facility on their campus, and there is possible talk of removing Joe Paterno’s statue from Penn State’s campus, but someone really needs to remove Roddy White from Twitter.
5. According to the report, Joe Pa knew more than he led onto believe. Why would he protect Sandusky? Loyalty and friendship is not enough for me because this isn’t some illegal drug trafficking business — these are kids being violated. Maybe Sandusky knew something incriminating about Paterno and that’s why Joe Pa stayed quiet. Of course now that Joe Pa has passed away, we’ll never get an answer from him.
6. If everything in the Freeh report is true, then quite honestly, Joe Pa got off easy. He died before he could have possibly gone to jail had he been still living.
Take a look at the entire report here.
That’s all I got,