Monday Morning Cornerback: Week 4September 24, 2012
Here are my quick hits and jukes from this weekend’s football action in the NFL and college football’s Top 25.
Florida Atlantic vs. Alabama
Right now….it’s looking like the state of Alabama will have it’s fourth national champion in four years.
LSU vs. Auburn
LSU clearly wasn’t worried about Auburn…although they should have been.
Arizona vs. Oregon
- So…Oregon just scored 7 points in the first half and went in the locker room and took a five hour energy drink and scored another 42 in the second half. Cool.
Clemson vs. Florida State
- Dope game. Surprised that FSU had the moxie to come back from 14 points down in the third. Lamarcus Joyner’s kick return really set things off for the Noles. I’m still trying to figure out what happened to Clemson in the 4th quarter though.
Vandy vs. Georgia
- No, I didn’t watch any of this game. I do know that if Baylor build a respectable football program, that Baylor can too. I’m not sure what’s taking so long.
Kansas State vs. Oklahoma
- Well…when you committ several turnovers on the wrong side of the 50 yard line you’re going to lose. I don’t care who you are playing. Landry Jones is the worst most talented quarterback in NCAA history. I’ve seen four year old kids more confident than this guy.
Mizzou vs. South Carolina
- The welcome Mizzou to the SEC tour continues. Their O-line and D-line was definitely getting that work from USC during the game. Connor Shaw went 20/21…why did Stephen Garcia even play last year?!?!
Maryland vs. West Virginia
- Tavon Austin is that deal. Goodness. He’s just as explosive as De’Anthony Thomas. Oh yeah, both teams were dressed to the nines, loved the unis on both sides.
Michigan vs. Notre Dame
- Notre Dame is good but I’m still not sold. They couldn’t do anything on offense, and defensively, Denard Robinson was playing for them…I mean…come on, 5 turnovers?!?!?
Cal vs. USC
How long is Jeff Tedford going to last at Cal? They must not care about the program, because they should be much better than what they are. USC didn’t destroy them like they should have though. They seem a little shaken in terms of their overall confidence. The team is too tight and needs to lighten up.
Kentucky vs. Florida
-So how come Kentucky has never been able to build a great football program like they have basketball program? I’m confused.
UAB vs. Ohio State
- Ohio State let UAB hang around uncomfortably and embarrassingly too long.
Virginia vs. TCU
-Okay Virginia, it’s time to just let Phillip Sims start. TCU’s Brandon Carter is the best WR, no one is talking about.
Oregon State vs. UCLA
-Oregon State is pretty damn good. Not great, but good enough to fuck up some dreams this season.
Louisville vs. Florida International
- I didn’t see any of this game. With Louisville only winning by 7 points something had to be going on. By the numbers, Teddy Bridgewater didn’t have a great game, but FIU has been playing well recently too.
Eastern Michigan vs. Michigan State
- Michigan State is looking like fools gold to me.
South Alabama vs. Mississippi State
-Bruh…that interception by Miss State’s, Johnathan Banks though?!?! Man!
BYU vs. Boise State
-Yeah, back to my point about Vandy that I mentioned earlier. Freaking Boise State is a good college program, why can’t Vandy build one? And don’t give me the academic crap because Stanford and Baylor are doing a damn good job with tough academics.
Idaho State vs. Nebraska
- I didn’t watch nan bit of this game.
Giants vs. Panthers
- The sophomore slump is real, ask Cam Newton. No more Superman celebrations when you’re losing bro…especially when you’re the quarterback. Annnd the Giants basically had their second string in and destroyed Carolina.
Rams vs. Bears
- Jay Cutler is slowly turning into an awesome sound bite.
Bills vs. Browns
- Sooo…the Browns let Brandon Weeden throw the ball 43 times but only let Trent Richardson run the ball 12 times? That make’s a lot of sense.
Buccaneers vs. Cowboys
- Schiano is stubborn. After all the hell he caught last week, he still went with this “Destroy the Victory formation” strategy about three times in a row. The Cowboys look like fools gold by the way.
Jaguars vs. Colts
- Everyone will talk about Blaine Gabbert’s pass to Cecil Shorts to win the game or Andrew Luck’s performance…but someone needs to mention Maurice Jones-Drew’s 28 carry, 177 yards and one touchdown performance. This guy held out and is balling like this…wow.
Jets vs. Dolphins
It’s impossible for Reggie Bush to stay healthy two seasons in a row. I really hope Darrelle Revis didn’t tear his ACL because if he did there goes all his bargaining power for a new contract and it now makes all the sense in the world why he was fighting for a new deal.
49ers vs. Vikings
Yes, I still believe in the 49ers. They just got caught overlooking the Vikes that’s all. Still the best team in the NFL.
Chiefs vs. Saints
The 2012 NFL Coach of the Year is Sean Payton…in the same fashion that Peyton Manning was the NFL’s 2011 MVP. Don’t let that 27 points that the Chiefs put up fool you…18 of those points were field goals.
Lions vs. Titans
- Best NFL game of the week. It’s pretty hard to win a football game when the other team scored three non-offensive touchdowns. Anyone seen Chris Johnson?
Bengals vs. Redskins
- I’m still amazed that all it took for the Bengals to turn things around was to just get rid of Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer.
Eagles vs. Cardinals
- Michael Vick got hit 15 times…really hard. He’s not going to last long. The Cardinals defense is that deal. I’d love to call them fools gold, but they’ve won their last ten games.
Falcons vs. Chargers
Atlanta looks really good. Oh wait, they always look good at the beginning of the season. Tell me something I don’t know. Looking good now and making it into the playoffs is easy for the Falcons…getting that first playoff win with Matt Ryan under center, that’s another story.
Texans vs. Broncos
- Peyton Manning has got to chill with these slow starts. The Texans are clearly the best team in the AFC right now.
Steelers vs. Raiders
- I hope Ryan Mundy doesn’t get fined for that hit on Darius Heyward-Bey. It didn’t look dirty to me. The Steelers. Goodness, the Steelers need a running game. Speaking of running games, when Darren McFadden is healthy, all things are right in Oakland.
Patriots vs. Ravens
- Thoughts and prayers go out to Torrey Smith. He played a great game amidst everything going on in his life right now. Roger Goodell needs to send a message about coaches and players vs. the replacement refs in the form of suspending Bill Belichick for one game. I bet everyone will shut up then.
That’s all I got,